Sunday, January 8, 2012

What I wouldn't give...


I had such a good childhood. I had/have so many great sisters...and such an impish little brother. (He still is!) I am sure that we had our moments of wanting to kill each other, but it's kind of like when you take a vacation with kids. They fight the whole time and you swear you'll never take them again, but then looking back, all you can remember are the good moments you created.

Lately I have missed my little sister Gina so much. She has seven kids, and I have six. This equals, hardly any time to talk.

I always wanted to be her twin because she was absolutely gorgeous. I would say "You are Gina, and I can change my name to Tina." Or sometimes I was Melanie and I would insist she be called "Melody."

We worked well together as playmates because Gina was sweet and passive, and tolerated my bossy assertive side.

Sometimes I will dream of things that happened during my childhood and it becomes so vivid...completely tangible. I would love to go back and play dolls all day long, or carry bulk bags of unpopped kernels around, and pretend they are our babies. Gosh, they felt like real babies. And boy, did we have interesting imaginations.

I am thankful for the part each of my siblings have played in my life. I could go on and on, about memories I have stored away in my brain that are completely priceless to me. I am thankful my parents kept having us, so I could have them all in my life. It was a true sacrifice on their part.