Monday, May 2, 2011

The race is done!

Alrighty, so here's the update on the race. I have to say, it was my greatest half marathon experience so far. Not necessarily because of my time, but I felt an overwhelming appreciation for hard work, goals, payoff, support, friendship, you name it...I appreciated it. There were over 8000 runners running this race split between a full marathon, 26.2 miles, and the half 13.1 miles. My friend Tammy ran the whole kit and Kaboodle (which she rocked btw) and I did the half. We got to the race around 6:45 and had to use the restrooms right away with all our nervous jitters. We had to stand in line a good 12 minutes and were starting to freak out because we knew the race started t 7am. Thankfully we got there in time and plus the race started 10 minutes late. I had worried with all the people that it would be too crowded and we would be slowed way down, but that really wasn't the case at all. Tammy and I ran together knowing at mile 10 1/2 we would have to split and go our own ways. We started out running about a 9:30 for the 1st mile and then upped our pace to about 8:45 for a few and then around mile 5 we upped it again to between 8:15 and 8:30 for about 3 miles. We had driven the course the night before and knew that at mile 8 a good hill would be coming and would last about a mile. We knew we would have to slow down for that, and we did to about a 9. I don't know what got me up that hill, because I haven't done much hill training, but something did, and when we got to the top of it I felt so good inside to have made it up. I actually had music blaring through my ipod at mile 9ish when tears filled my eyes, and I started crying. I am not a crying person. I couldn't believe I was crying, especially while running, but I was! I was crying because I felt so happy that my mind was telling my body what to do for the 1st time, during a half marathon. For me it's usually the opposite, and my body starts giving up and hating the race. I had trained properly this time and it was paying off, and even though it wasn't fun, and it was work, I knew I was capable of doing it, and I knew my will to do it, would get me there. At mile 11 I did get somewhat discouraged because there were several rolling hills and by this point my legs were burning and I wanted to be done. I slowed down to about a 9 and that helped. At mile 12 I knew there was only one mile left so my spirits started to focus again and I picked it back up to about an 8:45. I could see the finish right around the corner and picked it up to around a 7:55 the very last little bit (we're talking a 10th of a mile.) Crossing the finish was exhilarating. It was at Hayward Stadium, and you finished right below the stands filled with tons of people cheering you on. It.felt.awesome. My finish time was 1:55:56, 8:51 average. One last thing and then I'll shut the heck up. One thing I love about running, is it is a self competitive sport. Yes, you are running with others, but you aren't competing against anyone but yourself...at least for me. I saw people of all ages doing this race. People as old as 60 who came in before me. People who walked the entire half marathon. People who literally collapsed, but were picked up by other runners who cared and understood. I felt appreciation for anyone who would walk even a mile of the race. I think everyone who did the race rocks and deserves a gold medal for giving it everything they had mentally and physically. A race I will never forget. Now, forgive all my pics, but I have to post for my memories. :)

Headed to Eugene, pumped, excited, scared and every other emotion you can think of.

Texting while driving. Just kidding dad! I'm sure this was while we were parked and I can bet it was me texting Chris to tell him and the kids that I love and miss them. Without my husbands support and encouragement I wouldn't be running.

Remember my post about peeing? Yep, still peeing the day before the race. In fact, we pulled over several times having to pee, and it's only 150 miles away! I felt like a little kid who couldn't hold it.

Arriving at the Expo to pick up our packets and look for any extra running gear we just happen upon. Oh, and to sample some yummy brownies too.


Right after we got our packets!

And of course we had to get our pasta overload at Olive Garden. That's the best part of pre race!

Soaking in the hot tub trying to prepare our bodies for the torture they will be going through shortly.

So, there's a story behind this. One of the worst runner fears (at least for me) is having to go to the restroom during a race. and by this I mean #2. This can alter your time dramatically. So, the night before Tammy and I kept trying to find ways to keep this from happening during our race. She finally yells with a question mark "Enema???" and I jumped right on that and said "YES!!!!!!" So, we jump in the car at 10pm (when we should already be asleep) and speed to Alberston's where we buy twin pack Fleet Enema's. Btw, if this is too graphic for you, just remember the last time you went #2, and then you'll remember that we all do it, so read on. With that said, we took pics of us buying them so we could remember this forever, and we looked over at the cash register right after this picture and two checkers are staring at us like we're a little strange. Needles to say, we checked out as quickly as possible took turns in the bathroom and guess what??? It didn't work. Hmmm....at least a lesson was learned and our abs got a great workout from laughing so hard.

Can you believe all the crap you have to bring just for a run?? I almost needed a purse to run with.

Getting ready for my tennis tournament...just kidding. I know that's what it might look like, but it's okay to wear cute clothes to run in, and I love shopping for new run clothes. :)

This is us waiting to get a shuttle to the race. The weather was calling for sun and 70 degrees, but at 6am, it was only about 36. I'm cold just remembering it.

Post race pic. And yes, you have my permission to laugh at my compression socks. But I gotta tell ya, they were worth it, and I do believe they helped every step of the way.

It's was awesome having our good friend Alexis come and support us. Her and I were able to hang out and watch all the runners come in and it wouldn't have been the same without having her there! Plus, when Tammy came in, her loud voice came in handy screaming "TAMMY!!" to the top of her lungs.

I know it looks like I am giving you the finger, but of course I would never do that. It's supposed to be a 1/2 since I didn't do a full marathon. I tried! Tammy and I passed a sign that said "Marathon" on our way down and vowed to stop back on our way back home, so we did.