Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Rocking San Francisco...

I like running, I like racing, but do I like Hills? No ma'am, I do not. That's one reason I have been dreading this race ever since the course map was published on the rock 'n roll website. However by the time I realized how hilly it was going to be it was too late and I had already signed up.

The race started at 6:30 AM, so we woke ourselves up at 4 AM feeling very tired, yet full of adrenaline and excitement. And feeling COLD. We got shuttled to the start of the race and had to wait out in the cold for about an hour. We each stopped at the Porta potties about five different times with nervous jitters. So when it was time to start, we were ready to warm up our bodies and I no longer cared about the hills. I just didn't want to be cold anymore.

The first hills came at mile one and lasted about 2 miles. It wasn't pretty, but it also wasn't as ugly as we had anticipated. (That came later) when we reached the golden gate bridge, everybody seemed to become packed like sardines. By now the sun was up and I have to say it was totally awesome running over the Golden gate Bridge. I just kept thinking "I can't believe I'm doing this." Miles 5 through 10 1/2 felt great for me. This is where I was able to speed up and make up some time lost. But toward mile 11 that's where it got ugly, uglier and ugliest. We had three or four very steep uphill climbs, and every time you turned the corner you would hope that that was the last, but no such luck. By the last hill I thought I was going to die, and just wanted to walk. But I knew if I did I would never start back up again. I willed myself to continue going. It was a mental battle for sure. But at last, at the top of the last hill I saw a downhill stretch straight into the finish line. I sprinted as fast as my wobbly legs could go and made it to the end. This wasn't a PR race for me, but overcoming those hills was a lesson in patience for me. Running isn't always about being fast. Sometimes it needs to be about focus, patience, endurance, and most of all fun. I finished at 2:02:01.

When we finished, I gave Tammy the biggest hug I think I have ever given her. We weren't running together the entire time, it was really hard to stay together with 15,000 runners weaving in and out trying to get around people. And being that she is my running partner and best friend, not having her there during those mental struggles was really hard. I remember thinking several times "I wish Tammy were here." Giving her that hug at the end was like coming home.

I'm thankful I did this race, and look forward to more in the future.