Thursday, December 5, 2013

$7...

This morning I went running. It was 15 degrees out. Less than five minutes into my run my hands were so cold they became numb. 15 minutes in, they began to seize and I kept having to stretch out my fingers to keep them from cramping. 30 minutes in they began to ache and throb. 45 minutes later when I finally finished all I could think about was getting my hands warm. It was my only priority.

This made me think about those that have no place to call home. This topic always is a sad one but at Christmas time it's even more sad. 

Last week while visiting family we were getting ready to leave Fred Meyer. We saw a man about 50 years old with a long beard searching through a small trash can outside the store. He found a Starbucks coffee that had about a 1/4 cup left in it. He devoured it in seconds and walked away. My heart broke. We decided to follow him. We stopped beside him and asked if he needed anything...he said in a childlike voice "food would be nice." I looked back at Halee and the tears came from both of us...we had an unspoken heartache that is hard to explain. Chris asked him to meet us at Burger King a block away. We purchased the biggest burger, fries and coffee we could find. It only costed me $7 to feed a man who needed food. The smile on his face as he walked away stuffing fries into his mouth, is one that I will not soon forget.

I learned a lesson in the process. I need to give more. In all honesty I'm not very giving. I could do so much better. I'm so grateful this opportunity came up because my children had the chance to learn how important it is to love.