Tuesday, June 19, 2012

We are epic...




Once again myself and 11 other girls participated in the Epic relay where we ran 170 miles, from Portland to Eugene. I love doing races, but there's something about a relay, where you cover so many miles, and work as a team that is so fulfilling. You bond with girls, and learn to rely on each other. You laugh together. Our captain made us do the bear crawl and 30 jumping jacks for 1 measly piece of watermelon. We made funny memories we will laugh about for the rest of our lives.

The weather was hot, hot , hot. My first run wasn't until 4 in the afternoon, at the peak of the heat. It was about 80 degrees, full on sun. I ran it as as I would run a race. About an 8:45 average. I didn't plan for heat though, so I was dying, and hurting, and thinking how much I hated running, during those 5 miles. It was the most miserable run I have ever completed. If every run felt like that, I would never run again.

Thankfully my next run wasn't until the middle of the night. That felt great. I increased my pace to an 8:36 average for 6 miles. My faith in running was restored. I remembered why I like running, once again.

The next day was dead on heat again. I again, would be running late afternoon, but this time I used my head and slowed way down, averaging around a 10 minute mile. It still hurt, but the challenge felt great, and I could breathe. My best friend, jumped in and ran the last mile with me. She is my running partner and she knew I needed the push. She was a rock. She is awesome.

My awesome comrads would meet me along the way spraying me down, pouring ice cold water on top of my head, and cheering me on. We did this for all of our runners. Like I said, a true bonding experience.

We ran on two hours of sleep for our last run. We wanted to cry from the heat. We wondered at times why running had to even exist. But like childbirth, you go through the pain, and then you forget. You only remember the good times.

So, as crazy as I am, I would do it again. I would welcome the sweat and pain. Bring it on.