Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Maybe later...

When I first became a mom, I was a here and now, at your service kind of parent. The more kids I had, along with a busier schedule...more laundry, more cooking, more shopping, more activities, have turned me into a "maybe later" kind of parent, at times. Let's face it, we've all been there. It's so hard to juggle it all. I try, but it seems someone always wants me to play a game, listen to a story, jump with them on the trampoline, break up an argument...the list never ends...literally. I pick the kids up from school and they actually have to take turns telling me about their day, or it all turns into one transcending nightmare where you'd rather be under the wheel of the car rather than in the drivers seat. One thing I have going for me though, is that I have a dear husband who tries to pick up the slack where I leave off. He too can be a "maybe later" kind of guy, but like me, he is trying. On this day when we all went on a picnic and Connor wanted to play football and Grace wanted to be swung around a million times until Chris felt sick, I felt so grateful for him in my life. I also felt grateful that even though "maybe later" is recited in our home more than I'd like, there is also an awful amount of love.