Thursday, March 29, 2012

Goodbye diapers...


I have been changing diapers for almost 14 years now. I never really imagined the day when this would cease. I am a firm believer in potty training when the child is ready, not when the mom is. My mom raised me this way. I didn't think Scarlett would be ready until the more common age of three, but she has been showing serious signs for the last month. Waking up with a dry diaper every morning and insisting on being changed every single time she wets her diaper.

Yesterday she came to me and said "Mom, I have to go pee." I ran her into the toilet and she did it. She has been going potty on the toilet every time since, and woke up with dry panties this morning. I guess she was done waiting on her mom.

I have a friend that became a mom around a year ago, and in my opinion is so wise. She posted a comment on her Facebook page that I really appreciated. She says...

"A year of motherhood has taught me that there is no right way to be a mama. Co-sleeping, demand feeding, structured or relaxed, bottle or breast - mamas who are doing what they feel are best are doing the best for their family."

I love this (thanks Charity!) because it's easy to get caught up in comparing how we mother (potty training) or like my friend said "Bottle or breast feed" or so many different things. But really we have to do what we feel is best, and if it's best for us, then it works for us.

So, I guess this means I am diaper free, at least until I become a grandma...which I can't wait for, by the way.