Thursday, December 29, 2011

Christmas...




This year was one of my favorite Christmas' ever. We made it very low key...meaning, we didn't buy tons and tons of gifts. The kids each got four or five presents, and that was it. We could have got more than that, but are trying to help the kids fully understand what Christmas really is all about.

My husband and I both came from families that didn't have extravagant Christmas' (not that there's anything wrong with them) it just wasn't possible. In fact, Chris came from a family of nine kids, and one year they had hardly any money at all, and each got one present. All the boys got the same truck. Same color...same everything. Chris remembers it as being one of his most memorable Christmas' ever. Having less made them remember how much they truly had.

Everyone has to have their own style of Christmas. And I don't in any way judge those that have lots of presents. This just worked for us. And next year may be bigger. This year was a teaching moment.

We ate so much food. My favorite part of all. We ate leftovers so many times, my kids were almost in tears. They begged me to make something besides leftovers for dinner last night. I felt sorry for their poor little souls, and gave in.

Merry Christmas, my precious family!!