Friday, June 10, 2011

Missing my Mamaw Billy...


Growing up in the state of Georgia was such a blessing to me. Though I prefer living where I am now, the South will always hold a special place in my heart. Whenever I eat foods like fried chicken, okra, cornbread, or fried green tomatoes, it brings back that warm special feeling. But biscuits especially, bring back wonderful memories because they remind me of my sweet, sweet Mamaw Billy. She is no longer alive but she was the awesomest (is that a word?) Mamaw a girl could have asked for. I was blessed with two beautiful Mamaw's in fact. I consider myself very lucky indeed. But whenever we went to my Mamaw Billy's house, there was always a fresh pan of homemade biscuits sitting on the counter top with a cloth on top of them. She made them everyday. Comfort food at it's best. She was a great cook, make that excellent cook, and enjoyed feeding friends and family. She made the greatest desserts, and Thanksgiving at her house was something you looked forward to, if you liked to eat. She lived in a little, humble brick house, but that didn't matter. It was a time to visit, eat, and just be with family.

Another thing I loved about her, is that she would give you the shirt off her back if you asked. I remember being around 5 years old and she let me look through her jewelry box and I found a ring that I thought was stunning. I asked her in a very timid way ( I was so shy and cautious) if I could keep it. She didn't even hesitate. She just said "of course you can honey."

She not only gave of material items, she gave of her time. She took care of sick friends, who couldn't even feed themselves, without even blinking an eye. She didn't do it to be seen or noticed, she did it because that is who she was.

A stranger came to her door one day claiming to be her son's long time friend. He said he needed money. My Mamaw didn't have any money to spare. She lived a very humble lifestyle. But being the woman she is, she gave him a $20 bill, no questions asked. I probably would have told him to take a hike. But not my Mamaw. She was a true paragon of charity. I hope to be like her one day. I have a long way to go...