Sunday, June 19, 2011

Epic Relay 2011...

I am having some weird issues trying to get this post done correctly, to where the pics make sense with what I am saying, but blogger is being a big meanie...and I have tried to solve the problem for over an hour now, and well, I give up. So, just try to fit the pic to the text by scrolling down as you read. I hope that makes sense. :)


This weekend I had the opportunity to run in a relay. 12 of us women ran from Eugene to Portland and covered over 150 miles. We were separated into two vans consisting of 6 in each van. We would then basically rotate and each take 3 different legs in length and have rest times in between runners. We ran all day and and all night with a few rest periods. I know it sounds like a miserable thing to put yourself through, but I have to say it is one of my favorite running experiences I have had so far. It wasn't just an adrenaline rush like running a half marathon is. It went even further than that. It was a time to bond with women. To work as a team. To cheer each other on, and give each other encouragement. To learn from each other. It was truly wonderful and I would do again in a heart beat. If you aren't friends with someone before you do a relay with them, you will be by the time your'e finished. Here are a few pics of how the weekend went.

The night before the relay we all stayed at the Crown Plaza. We of course couldn't pass up a chance to eat out. Girls nights wouldn't be the same without good food, staying out late, and laughing our heads off.



Getting ready to start the relay. You know the cold weather we have had for a loong time? Well, it went bye bye real fast, which normally would make me very happy. It just so happens though, that I hate running in hot weather. And boy, by 3pm it was nice and toasty
This is where I would run my first leg of the race, and longest run of the race...6.82 miles, in the hot sun. I was pretty pathetic afterward, but just like any race, the payoff was well worth it.



With each of our runners we decided with the heat issue, that spraying them halfway through their run would help. It was a lifesaver for all our runners. This is Kim and I coming to Jamie's rescue. Jamie ran this race with little running experience and yet she smiled so much, and had such an upbeat attitude, that we named her grill (for her smile.)She also did an excellent job with running.

One of our runners ended up feeling as though she had the flu, and another one of our girls was having serious issues with a possible foot fracture. We just so happened upon some guys from BYU who were also running the race, and asked them if they could give a few priesthood blessings. They said of course, and oddly enough one was a Podiatrist. The greatest part is that the runners were able to run with absolutely no issues after their blessings. It was such a neat thing to see the priesthood work, and to be with women, who had faith that it would.


Trying to fit in a little shut eye here and there. We got about 2 hours sleep total.

It was awesome to finish in our custom made Girls In The Hood shirts...




Every girl that ran in this race in my eyes, is completely amazing. I love all of these women and after running with them in this relay, they will each hold a special place in this little runners heart.