Saturday, March 12, 2011

Another one bites the dust...

So, Chris has been running 3 days a week with the kids the past few weeks, and I talked all of them into doing a race. Chris, Austin and Connor ran the 3k, which is just under two miles. They were a little nervous, but I was so proud of them for getting out there and accomplishing this goal! Connor came in 2ND for his age group and Austin in 3rd. Chris hasn't been running that long either and ran the whole way with no walking. He rocked. I did the 10k, and as usual I had lots of anxiety going into it. I always have a knot in my stomach before a race. Everyone looks so much faster then me (as if what someone looks like determines their speed.) I was smarter this time, I took it a little slower the first 1/2 of the race, then I picked up speed the last half. This strategy seemed to help, especially in terms of how I felt. It's the first race I have done where I didn't come away wanting to die. I finished 3rd in my age group with a time of 8:38 per mile. I am not normally a fast runner, and let me tell ya, I'm going to enjoy this, because it will likely never happen again. Yay for goals, and accomplishing them.