Thursday, November 4, 2010

What now?


Right before I went to bed last night I was looking at the above statue that was given to me for Mothers Day several years back. I started to feel sadness as I looked at it. I had it tucked away in a box for several years, not sure why, but recently pulled it out. I've noticed something in the last 6 months that I've had it displayed. Each time I see it, and really look at it, I get sad. Each time I see it, I literally get sadder, and sadder. I finally realized last night as I felt this sadness looking at this mother holding her baby, that I'm so sad because it represents what is being taken away from me each day as Scarlett grows out of the baby stage and into the growing up stage. I laid down in the bed pondering this, and thought, I know! Chris can just go pay $10,000 and get a reversal! Ya, that thought lasted about of 2 seconds. Then it came to me that life revolves around seasons. We're born, we turn into toddlers, we go to Kindergarten, we reach middle school awkward years, we turn teenager and drive our parents a little crazy, we get older and have kids of our own. We can't hold onto one scene in our lives forever. This thought excited me, because I realized that my current purpose is to give to my older kids along with my younger ones, and to not be so enveloped in having newborns (even though it is truly the best feeling ever) that there's not time left to give. I think I like this stage. And you know what? Bring on the Grandma stage too, because I'm going to love every minute of it, in several more years that is.