Monday, November 22, 2010

Running around like a chicken with my head cut off

This is a phrase I heard many times growing up in reference to the fact that there's always need to slow down or prepare ahead of time so as to avoid the chicken run. Only now this phrase takes on a whole new meaning for me. I started running for exercise about a year ago. I have ran in the past, but not very consistently. This is the first time I have ever been completely consistent with running. I have always put exercise as a priority, and believe me I have tried everything, from Buns Of Steel, to Tae Bo, to aerobics classes, to jump roping, and so on. But running?? Oh my, how I have always despised it. My worst enemy. Some how it has always kicked my rear in the worst way and no matter how hard I have tried to beat the beast of running (meaning breathe and keep from dying) it has always won. Finally (and this is the truth) after 10 months of running, 4 days a week, I have finally grown to love it. If you asked me last month if I loved it, I would have said no. But I noticed about a week ago when I went running alone, I could breathe. I only went three miles, but I could have gone 6 more, and still been able to breathe. It was wonderful and exhilarating. And ever since then, I want to run more!! It was a huge milestone for me, I had resigned to the fact that I would always hate it. I never would have thought it would take me that long to love it...but it did. It's a big thing to me. I thankfully have wonderful running partners, but now I know that if I choose to run alone at times, by golly, I can. And knowing I can, truly makes my day.