Monday, December 28, 2009

Beautiful Ella Mae...


There is a lovely old lady that we go to church with that I have decided to take under my wing. She is living in a care center and I don't think she's very happy about it, and understanably so! I must first say that this is not quite in character for me. I have to admit that I usually completely suck when it comes to reaching out to others and being charitable so please don't misunderstand this post...I of all people do NOT belong on a pedestal. Anyway, I have been visiting her for the last couple of weeks, and have come away feeling a high I'm not used to! Each time I have seen her I have felt so close to my Heavenly Father. Last night Chris and I took the kids to see her in the Care Center she is currently living in. The kids were acting crazy as usual, so Chris offered to take them for a while so I could visit with her. I was with her for a few hours. The nurse came in at one point and said it was time for dinner, so I offered to go with this lady...her name is Ella Mae. As I sat there, they brought her a tray with a sandwich and soup. Ella Mae asked me to help feed her because her hands get so tired. I was thrilled to help her. I told her I am used to feeding people! I've been feeding my sweet babies for so many years...she laughed...I wanted to cry as I helped her eat that sandwich. I felt closer to the Savior in those few moments then I have in a very long time. I realized that it's true where the scriptures say "If ye have done it unto the least of these, ye have done it unto me" I really did feel that I was at that very moment feeding the Savior! What a neat experience it was. I believe Ella Mae gave more to me last night then I ever gave to her. I hope for that opportunity again.