Thursday, May 22, 2014

Rescuing Christian...

Christian gave us a terrible scare two nights ago. He has suffered from asthma since age three but this spring has been worse than ever. He woke up at 12:30am and could barely breathe. We hooked him up to a nebulizer that puts albuterol into his lungs and essentially rescues him. Only problem is, he was so completely out of air that he wasn't being rescued. He ripped the tube that gives him air from his mouth and in panic tried getting free. Free from no air. I have never been more scared. The look on Chris' face didn't help. We were helpless. Just as I was getting ready to call 911 Chris got him to attach back to the tube with air and after 3 torturous minutes of watching panic on my sons face he began to breath. We took him to the emergency room and they have him on a powerful steroid temporarily.

Wow. When you see someone you love in danger of serious harm, all priorities suddenly shift. During the three minutes of trying to help my child, a million thoughts ran through my mind. How could I have prevented this? Should I have taken him in sooner? I would spend any amount of money to save my child. Is Christian going to die? It went on and on.

I am so thankful my Christian is okay. I'm so thankful that Heavenly Father allowed him to be ok. It was out of my hands. I knew that. 

Life is too short not to show love to those we love. Every single day.