Saturday, May 3, 2014

13.1...

I decided to be spontaneous this weekend when I found out there was a race a little closer to home. I thought it was going to be the perfect race because of it mostly being flat. You just never know about a race. The wind nearly killed me.

The first half of the race I felt pretty good. I started out running 8 to 8:30 min. Miles for the first 3 to 4 miles. It started to heat up around mile 5. That got me down a little but I felt ok. It was at the halfway point that I started to struggle. We had a head wind of probably 20 mph winds (or so it felt) my morale started to struggle because I was running slower but with twice the effort. Like having rubber bands and resistance. I just kept telling myself to KEEP MOVING. My best friend surprised me and jumped in and ran two miles with me. How did I get so lucky to have such amazing friend? Chris and the kids supported me on the way too. Having them there really kept me going.

I came in at 2:00 hours. Is this a race I would do again? Not unless I'm windsurfing...but that's what happens when you live in the gorge.