Wednesday, July 4, 2012

4th of July...



This is the 1st year in the last 4 years that we have been in town for the 4th of July. My friend and bestie running partner, Tammy and I decided to run the 4th of July 12k that is put on every year. I was a little worried about the 3/4 mile steep hill that I knew wasn't easy. The weather was calling for sunny and warm too.

We took off at a fast pace...too fast. But it actually ended up being just right once we centered ourselves and found our happy place. The hill was tough, as expected, but the weather was cooler than expected. It wasn't near as bad as I planned for. Always prepare for the worst and it will turn out better than you expect.

Once we got up the mean hill, we were cruising and feeling great. We picked our speed up the last 1/2 mile, and ran past all the parade spectators...that was kind of weird. Luckily there were some guys ahead of us in speedo's so all the attention was on them. We aren't fans of running in front of tons of people we know. I guess you could call us "shy" runners.

The race all in all is one of the most enjoyable races I have ever raced. I felt good. I could breathe, and even appreciated being a runner. That doesn't always happen, so when it does, I welcome it.

We finished at 1:05:02. an 8:46 average.

It's a race I will do again for sure.

Happy 4th of July!

P.S We took the kids to tour a beautiful 16,000 square foot mansion after my race. It was gorgeous beyond description. We had a blast. I love being with my family.