Monday, February 13, 2012

Why I Run...


I have been running consistently for two years now. I can't even believe it. I never in a million years would have thought I could keep it up that long. Every time I have tried in the past to keep up one exercise routine I would give up after a while and move onto something new. I have been thinking about why I am still running and I think I have narrowed it down.

1. I have a running partner that never gives up. This helps me like no other because running alone can be enjoyable at times, but can also get very lonely and monotonous.

2. I have passed the hump. I think there must have come a point that I wanted to quit but I just forced myself through it unlike past times. Now that I have been doing it so long, I am more afraid of quitting and having to start over than I am of running and breaking a sweat.

3. I am so much nicer when I run. It's a major stress reliever and mood booster for me. I am so busy with my kids and managing our business that I I need my runs in order to mentally stay happy and focused.

4. I run because I want my kids to see how important it is to stay healthy. I am failing miserably on teaching them how to eat healthy so I am trying to make up for it by showing them how important exercise is.

5. I run to stay thin. I won't lie.

There are other reasons that I won't bore you with...but just let me say that running for me has been such an awesome growing experience. It has showed me that I can do hard physical things for an extended period. That I can accomplish goals even when they seem impossible. That's been my greatest lesson of all.