Saturday, June 6, 2015

Just tri....

So about a 6 months ago me and my bff signed up for something new...because let's face it...as much as we like running races...it's fun to try new things...so why not a mini tri??? The only problem is, we signed up for a race that we (ummmm) I...didn't really fully train for. I mean, we had the biking and running part down but I only swam one time a week before the race, and we're supposed to swim a 1/4 mile, which believe it or not, for a newbie, that's kinda far. 

We woke up bright and early this morning and got our transition stations set up...Jammie's and all. Tammy loved being seen with a spotted leopard by the way.

We started with the swim. Which wasn't too terrible until about half way thru where catching my breath was a challenge and nevermind the fact that my legs completely gave out from under me after climbing out of the water to finish but the plus side is...we didn't drowned. This is a good thing, right? 

Next came 11 mile bike ride. Easy peasy. We felt great. After swimming, anything would have felt great. 

Next came the run. Only 3.1 miles. And THAT went great. It was a wake up call to me that the reason I felt great on the run is because I trained. The reason I felt like crap on the swim is because I didn't. Gee, I'm smart, huh?

The husbands and kids came to cheer us on. I absolutely loved hearing their cow bells whenever they saw us. It's a huge support having the ones you love the most wanting to see you do well.

I love trying new things. Life is too short to not do something new once in a while...even if it does kick your butt.