Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Fresh cut grass...


You are looking at a picture of Grace and Scarlett watching their dad do weeding and yard work. They must have sat like this for half an hour.

It reminded me of of my own dad doing yard work. I can still remember the smell of the grass as he was cutting it. All of us kids, and possibly a few neighbor kids.. playing jump rope. Looking for roly polies that we could call pets. Eating a piece of southern cornbread. Catching lightning bugs.

The truth is, almost everytime my husband cuts our grass the smell floods back memories of my dads fresh cut grass. But, It reminds me of my mom too. When my dad traveled my mom would take it upon herself to cut the grass. I can still see her worn out stained tennis shoes lying around waiting for the next time the yard will need cut. It's may seem small, but to me it's a reminder of the sacrifices she made for our family. Without complaining.

These memories make me feel like a kid again. They make me remember home.