Friday, July 15, 2011

You can do hard things...


I have been the wicked witch of the Northwest for around 6 months now. Around the month of January we found out our church would be taking the youth (ages 12 through 18) on a pioneer trek. They would be pushing handcarts for many, many miles. There would be about 300 kids involved. When Halee found out about it, she said there was no way on earth she would be going. She was afraid. Unfortunately for her, she has a very mean, nasty mother that said she was going, whether she liked it or not. Ever since that day, she has been mad at the fact that we were making her go. And the closer it got, the more she worried her little head off. There were times where I questioned our decision in making her go, but I prayed about it tons, and the feeling I got, very strongly...almost like a slap in the face, was that for some reason, heavenly father wanted her there, and Satan did not.

I have asked my parents many times the question "If you could do anything different in the way you raised us, what would it be?" They always say, they would have found ways and situations in which to strengthen our testimonies on a greater level. I personally think my parents did a great job in raising us, but I have taken them saying that, and am trying to apply it to my own life and family. Plus, when it comes to the pioneers, and all they sacrificed, my heart swells like no other. I truly love these people I have never met, and feel a connection with them, in mine and their love for the gospel.

Halee left for the trek yesterday and comes home tomorrow. I am so relieved she is there. I am so relieved that I don't have to be viewed as the evil wicked mother anymore. I can't wait to have her home. I am going to have her post on our blog some of her experiences tomorrow or the next day. I have a feeling it's going to be a really good update.