Saturday, July 16, 2011

Rodeo 10k and 3k...


Austin and I decided very last minute to run a race in association with the rodeo that came to town. We drug our tired little rears out of bed...all kids and Chris in tow, and headed to the race around 6:15am. This is very early for me. I hate getting up early...but I am glad I did it.

Austin did so awesome. We started out and when the whistle blew, everyone took off as fast as they could possibly go. Austin started to do the same, but I reeled him in, and assured him that he would most likely pass a lot of those people who were using up all their running fuel in the first half mile. He was glad he used the tactic because he came in 3rd in his age, and got a medal and that made his day. Plus, he thought I was the smartest mom on earth (no need to tell him that I only learned that from true experienced runners, and websites I have researched. It pays to have google.)

I enjoyed the race too. It was a little warmer than I like. If it's above 60 degree's, it's too warm to race in, but it rained which made it much more enjoyable. I started out running around a 9 min, pace. I saw two women ahead and decided to make them my motivation. I finally passed them (barely) and was so afraid of them catching me, it kept me motivated to keep up a decent pace. I kept invisioning them saying to each other in a devilish voice "Let's take that girl OUT." It actually made me run faster...It's okay to think that I'm weird...It is true..I am.

I averaged exactly the same pace I averaged the last time I raced this course. 8:38. I was happy with it, but I would have like an 8:37 better, just so I could have PR'd.

All in all, it was a blast. And you know what the best part was? All of my kids (minus Halee, because she was still at Trek) yelling and cheering me in. It made me proud...not to be a runner, but to a mother of so many children.