Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Goodbye Ella Mae...



Today our dear friend Ella May passed away at the age of 86. She became sick around two weeks ago with a bad cough, and things just continued to get worse from there. My husband and our friend Mark gave her a blessing about a week ago, and then she received another one a few days ago. Heavenly father was ready to take this dear lady home. I had planned on going to see her today on my husband's lunch break (1 pm) but when I showed up I was told she had passed an hour earlier. How I would have loved to have been there! It was hard knowing I didn't get to say goodbye to her. I loved this dear, wonderful woman. She gave me a gift that I can't really explain or define to anyone. I'm not even sure how to articulate it in my own head...I just know she gave me a greater love for those who are alone and suffering. My heart has expanded since knowing her, and I will forever be grateful to her for giving me that. Grace was so excited to go see her in the hospital today, but I explained when we left that Ella Mae had gone to Heaven. When we got in the car Grace looked at me and said "Ella Mae goed to lib wif Jesus." And she is exactly right. Ella Mae has a special place prepared for her...that much I am sure of.