Sunday, October 16, 2011

Mexico...




I have officially received a stamp in my passport. I have always wanted to leave the Country just to see what is out there, and thanks to my husband and my best friends husband...I was able to. I didn't know what to expect when we arrived in Puerto Vallarta, but when we were attacked at the airport by timeshares and taxi cabs, I have to admit I was very overwhelmed. Knowing hardly any Spanish at all also made it that much more discouraging. Thankfully my friend Tammy knew a little and that certainly helped.

Where we were was so poor. It was so obvious we were not in America anymore. Little kids (two years old) would be riding in the front seat with their heads hanging out the window. The buses were only 30 cents each way. Homes were small and run down. It was one of the most humbling experiences I have ever had.

While we were there we decided to go to church and the spirit was so strong. It was testimony meeting and I didn't understand a word spoken, yet I knew it was real. I thought the people were wonderful. It was my favorite part of the whole vacation.

We flew to Cancun 4 days into our trip to escape a hurricane and being in Cancun was like being in America. It was so beautiful. But I wouldn't trade the experience of Puerto Vallarta.

I missed my kids and husband but was able to Skype them every night. It was wonderful! Chris was an amazing dad while I was gone, and I came back appreciating him and my kids more than ever. I am thankful that he is a husband that encourages me to spread my wings and seek adventure. I am not unaware that many husbands would have not been keen on the idea (and understandably), but he never blinked an eye...and I love him for that.

So, all in all? I loved Mexico...but if I ever leave the country again, it will be to a new and exciting place. But I have a feeling it won't be for a few more years. :)