Sunday, September 16, 2018

When the payoff is worth it...

I had no idea how hard it would be to start back running when I’d taken 10 months off. Back in May Austin and I decided that one thing to motivate us to run would be to sign up for a race. Every week we’d run and run together. I can’t tell you how many wonderful conversations I had with my sweet son over so many hours of running. 

Saturday it all came to fruition when we finished 13.1 miles together (actually it was 13.2 and I’m still resentful of that last 0.1) but every mile I’d look at Austin and tell him our mileage and he would give me a big smile and wink. It truly kept me going strong especially when I wanted to quit, and believe me there were a few times I REALLY wanted to quit. At mile 11 I got choked up thinking that Austin would be leaving on a mission soon. That we had trained so hard together. That we were almost finished. That I’d miss him so much. So many things ran through my head (happy and sad.) 

I just can’t say enough what a privilege it was to run this race with my wonderful boy that has turned into an incredible, loving and kind young man. It’s been a wonderful ride since the day he was born.