Monday, July 18, 2016

Watermelon...

I can still remember sitting on my back porch growing up, and watching my mom split open a big watermelon with the only butcher knife we owned. I can still taste the taste everytime I bite into one. Except when I was little, we sprinkled our watermelon with salt...(don't knock it until you try it) although, I prefer it sweet now. I can still see the seeds and remember the frustration of eating around them.
I can still envision eating that watermelon in a swimsuit, after swimming hours and hours. I can see my sisters with their tangled "swim" hair, but it doesn't matter because we're kids and no one cares. I can still feel the sunburn from swimming all day and neglecting to wear sunblock every two hours. I can still see my mom lovingly sitting on the porch with us while we eat...in fact, she's eating too. 

It's amazing how many memories can be resurrected from one bite of watermelon. It's the taste of home.